Control Virtual Desktops across the Enterprise
With VMware ACE, your organization can combine the power and versatility of virtual machines with the security and control of centrally managed PCs, making it easier to:
- Manage virtual desktops from a single point of control, even in remote and branch offices.
- Increase security and flexibility for secure mobile computing
- Safely extend corporate resources to 3rd party unmanaged desktops
Take command of client PCs across the extended enterprise from a single point of control.
- Centralized policy-based management. Virtual Rights Management (VRM) centralizes management of security policies and access rights applied to VMware ACE running on an end-user PC.
- Secured access. Secure the entire VMware ACE environment, including data and system configuration, with authentication and virtual disk encryption.
- Device control. Lock down PCs by granting or denying access to host PC devices such as printers, USB memory keys, or DVD/CD writers based on device type or ID.
- Expiration control. Configure VMware ACE to expire at a pre-determined time, or after a pre-set period.
Protect sensitive and proprietary information with robust security features such as full-volume encryption and granular access control over all network and peripheral ports.
- Rules-based network access. Enable endpoint compliance by identifying and quarantining expired, unauthorized or out-of-date VMware ACE environments by port or traffic type.
- Flexible endpoint lockdown. Tighten desktop security policies with granular device and network access control while providing end users the freedom to be productive.
- Secure access. Offer secure, managed access to your standard corporate desktop image from any PC, managed (company-owned PCs) or unmanaged (employee-owned PCs, 3rd party PCs including vendors and contractors).
- Virtual Machine Encryption. FIPS 140-2 compliant 128-bit AES Encryption of ACE virtual machines, including virtual disk and configuration files.
- Kiosk mode. With ACE 2.7, deliver virtual desktops that run in kiosk mode on shared physical PCs. ACE virtual machines in Kiosk mode deliver rich applications on shared public PCs, while protecting the host operating system from misuse and malicious attacks.
- Smart card readers can be connected directly to an ACE Instance or shared with the host machine. The smart card reader can be used to authenticate users or to provide credentials for securely sending email or electronically signing documents within the virtual machine.
Deploy ACE instances on portable media devices so that end users to take their computing environments with them wherever they go.
- Provision desktops on portable media. Quickly and securely provide corporate standard desktop access to 3rd parties such as customers, contractors and vendors without the need for expensive additional systems.
- Free the desktop from hardware dependencies. Give mobile employees the freedom to work from wherever they need to.
- Recover with ease. ACE client packages are easy to back up and easy to restore, enabling your organization to include client PCs in your disaster recovery and business continuity solution.
Create and deploy virtual machines for simpler managed desktop environment.
- Design once, deploy anywhere. Create standardized hardware-independent PC environments with virtual machines and deploy them to any PC or portable flash media device for an easy to manage, yet complete desktop experience.
- Leverage a single virtual client platform. Support for a single VMware platform empowers VMware Workstation 7 users to create and securely package VMware ACE virtual machines for deployment to end users.
- Simplify creating Windows and Linux virtual machines with Easy Install. VMware Workstation 7, included with VMware ACE 2.7, helps IT administrators save time and simplify Windows and Linux guest operating system installation. Just answer a few simple questions and the Easy Install feature will perform an unattended installation of the guest operating system and VMware Tools.
Take snapshots of stable system states so that you can move between known desktop image states on endpoint PCs.
- Snapshots. Eliminate the time required to reconfigure systems by leveraging pre-captured snapshots of “known good” desktop states. Rapidly configure demo and training environments with custom snapshots in seconds.
- Quick recovery. Save help desk and support costs by helping users recover quickly on their own. With a snapshot that is taken after the VMware ACE virtual machine is installed on the client, end users can revert to a previous state within seconds.
Rich PC Experience
- Support for DirectX 3D graphics. VMware was the first virtualization product to support 3D graphics. With VMware ACE 2.7, users can now run Windows Aero, Open GL, and DirectX 3D applications that support DirectX 9.0c with Shader Model 3 3D graphics.
- Integrated desktop experience with “Unity” mode. Users can access applications within ACE virtual machines as if they were applications inside their normal operating system desktop. The desktop of the rest of the ACE virtual machine disappears and the application looks just like a normal window in the rest of their environment.
- Support for multiple monitors enables users to take full advantage of their available screen real estate when using an ACE instance.
- If enabled, users can drag and drop email attachments, Rich Text and graphics between the ACE instance and the host machine. If this feature is disabled, the contents of the virtual machine will remain secure.