The latest Dassault Systèmes 3DEXPERIENCE CATIA release delivers multiple enhancements for those working in Design, Engineering, Systems Engineering, as well as Construction Professionals. This article will focus on the upgrades that provide benefits to Designers.
- A New Role: Human Experience Designer
- Upgrades Functionalities: Immersive Design Experience with 3D Natural Sketching
- Enhances App: CATIA ICEM Design Experience
New Role: Human Experience Designer
The new Human Experience Designer role expands the use of virtual humans beyond specialist studies.
- Any 3DEXPERIENCE user can access a variety of realistic virtual humans to create, engineer, simulate and validate their products, environments and experiences.
- These highly realistic virtual humans allow users to understand and optimise the consumer experience of a product design by animating the interaction of a human with the product, and to better explore that experience as a result.
- Complex human animations (eg. turning a steering wheel) can be created or imported and analysed. Each skeleton joint can be bounded in motion and can connect and interact with dynamic objects to ensure realistic simulation.
- A variety of human manikins are available to be used to optimise proportion and ensure product usability for a range of human sizes.
- Animations can be replayed and studied, allowing full consideration of the human experience, including in virtual reality where the highly realistic human avatars enhance the experience.
- High-quality renderings can now be created. These renderings, for example, would allow an architect to show people the context of the building and experience the interaction with building machinery such as an escalator, from the human point of view.
Upgraded Functionalities: Immersive Design Experience with 3D Natural Sketching
In R2019x, we saw the introduction of the ability to sketch immersively in 3D Virtual Reality using CATIA Natural Sketch with HTC Vive HMD (Head Mounted Display).
- In R2020x, the immersive user experience has been enhanced to allow a more natural and intuitive experience.
- There have been refinements to the user interface to ensure effective interaction with the VR controller.
- Discovery of the application is simplified and follows a gradual sequence of actions for a more consistent and efficient workflow.
- The user’s commonly used colors are now stored and easily accessible under the wheel of the new color palette.
Enhanced App: CATIA ICEM Design Experience
ICEM Design Experience, introduced in R2019x, is a new generation of surface modelling application for Computer Aided Styling (CAS) and Class-A surface modellers.
R2020x delivers new levels of productivity, innovation and collaboration.
- Productivity: R2020x introduces productivity enhancements for selecting geometry, shape control, display and navigation.
- Innovation: “OMNI” smart technology, which recognises and predicts the designer’s intent-based upon his geometry selection, is extended with the new OMNIPlane and OMNICurve capabilities.
- Collaboration: With ICEM Design Experience, Computer CAS and Class-A surface modellers can now seamlessly connect with the enterprise on the 3DEXPERIENCE platform, taking advantage of full digital continuity.
Enhancements for different disciplines:
- Everyone: New functionality for the 3D Generative Innovator Role and 3DPlay. Find out more.
- Engineers: The CATIA R2020x release sees the new Multi-Disciplines Automated Drafter role extend CATIA Drafting capabilities as well as the Function Driven Generative Designer and Mechanism Simulation Designer receiving performance, property and function enhancements. Find out more.
- Systems Engineers: R2020x introduces Systems Synthesis Analyst which addresses all users in a program, who can now review and analyse traceability. This connects seamlessly to the new CATIA Magic Portfolio. Find out more.
- Construction Professionals: The 3DEXPERIENCE CATIA R2020x provides a range of advanced capabilities for steel structures, linear infrastructure design, facade design and IFC interoperability. Find out more.