This article outlines some best practices for cloud platform adoption that can help you digitally transform an organisation of any size to stay competitive in an age where disruptive technologies are causing rapid evolution of business models and customer needs.
As digital transformation touches every industry, cloud technology is fundamentally changing the relationship between customers and software companies. Forward-thinking businesses – as you might expect in the digital age – are moving key software packages from on-premise installation to subscription-based cloud platforms. What you might not expect is that done properly, this has benefits that range far beyond the technological and enable new ways of working.
The 3DEXPERIENCE platform on the cloud by Dassault Systèmes is a good example of a cloud platform which can help users get the most out of their cloud journey, and some of its key advantages are summarised further down this article.
How to Progress Your Journey to the Cloud
To progress your journey to the cloud, and take full advantage of cloud trends, and reap organisational benefits as well as technological benefits, an IDC whitepaper (available at the foot of this article) recommends the following best practices:
- Take your employees on a transformational journey. Digital transformation and cloud projects are more likely to succeed if they are viewed as more than simply a technical project. Using the cloud as a platform for collaboration and data sharing can unlock new ways of working, such as agile working or DevOps processes. Additionally, collaboration can be enhanced by putting new organisational structures in place.
- Measure your digital transformation success. In order to show a return on investment (ROI) on digital transformation initiatives, new KPIs can be introduced. These include net promoter score, the number of users on new applications, and user satisfaction with innovative solutions.
- Embrace new technologies especially cloud solutions. Evaluate cloud solutions for all applications as well as data-intensive applications like CAD and PLM systems. Drive a common set of security and governance rules for all SaaS services to build trust in the cloud platform and ensure regulatory compliance.
- Democratise data. Using a cloud platform has an organisational impact as it flattens the organisation. Everybody with the right level of access rights can access data and knowledge, which makes data and information available to a broader set of stakeholders inside the organisation but also across the broader ecosystem. This enables organisations to break silos and foster better collaboration and innovation.
- Socialise your data. Using a single cloud platform ensures digital continuity and creates a single source of truth. Time is saved as the right data (brought together from multiple sources into the platform) is accessible quickly. Employees can also from social communities around relevant data, for example in engineering, HR, marketing and other departments. They all access the same data, but from a different angle and in a different context.
- Choose a strong ecosystem as the foundation for your innovation. In the era of multiplied innovations (existing innovations that scale within enterprises), competition is no longer between single companies but between ecosystems of companies. The cloud is a key enabler of ecosystem growth, which means that the adoption of cloud platforms can lead to enhanced collaboration within ecosystems (which can even extend to companies who would traditionally be competitors).
Benefits of Dassault Systèmes’ 3DEXPERIENCE Cloud Platform
Dassault Systèmes has incorporated its entire software portfolio (including CAD, PLM, simulation and more) into a single online platform which provides a real-time view of an entire business or even wider ecosystem. Users can break free of on-premise IT constraints and find new ways of working by leveraging some technical advantages of the platform.
Significant advantages of the 3DEXPERIENCE platform include:
- Access to all applications from a common intuitive interface which creates a unified user experience available anytime, anywhere, on anything from the PC, to the tablet or mobile phone.
- A single dashboard across all applications, customised for different user groups (e.g. engineering, sales, marketing), presenting the same data from different contextual angles to leverage collective intelligence.
- A standardised version of the software for all users globally, which helps drive standardised processes globally.
- Subscription-based business models (operating expenditures) rather than capital expenditure investment.
- Customers can influence product development through direct access to the software development team (a different dynamic in the customer relationship).
- Access to the latest version of new innovative applications such as 3D Printing, Function Driven Generative Design, and xDesign (web CAD application).
- Always-on access to the applications as well as to online support and knowledge base in case of questions.
To reap maximum benefits, organisations should treat their cloud-enabled digital transformation journeys as more than technical upgrades. Technical benefits of SaaS software usage include instant access and standardization on a unified platform, and increased agility. Culturally, these changes are an opportunity to democratise and socialise data, changing the structure of organisations and enhancing collaboration to keep up with the demands of modern customers.
Progress Your Journey to the Cloud with the 3DEXPERIENCE 3 Month Evaluation Licence
If you’re interested in accessing enterprise-class technology anytime, anywhere, you can find out if 3DEXPERIENCE suits your needs with a 3-month evaluation licence. We’re confident that within 3 months, you’ll know how 3DEXPERIENCE on the Cloud can enable a digitally transformative cloud journey for your business, so you can meet modern objectives.
Download the Full IDC Whitepaper
There’s more where that came from. If you’d like to read more about Digital Transformation Built on the Cloud or follow any of these statistics to their source, you can download the full whitepaper below.