Our Raising your Game initiative presents experts from Majenta Solutions, our partners and inspiring, well-valued industry leaders to share experiences and knowledge to help our customers keep their companies relevant tomorrow and stay ahead of the competition, utilising best practice, innovation, collaborative partnerships, digital transformation and supply chain excellence.
John previously spent 17 years working for Rolls-Royce plc. In that time he was Chief Engineer on several GT projects, Programme Director for Marine Engines Total Care and Head of Advanced Engineering for Industrial & Marine. Following Rolls-Royce, John worked for seven years for Intelligent Energy, a fuel cells start-up business, as Director of Engineering and Customer Services. He is presently acting as Chief Technical Officer for Assystem Energy & Infrastructure Ltd where his focus is on Nuclear Governance, Systems Engineering and supporting business growth through digitalisation.
Who are Assystem?
International and independent engineering company
- 3 lines of services: Project management & Engineering, Digital & Performance, Security & Safety
- Employees: 5000 worldwide, 2,500 nuclear experts worldwide
- Revenue: €400 million consolidated
- Headquarters: Paris, France, with offices in 13 countries
Nuclear is one of the few technologies that can provide a low carbon, large scale, predictable supply of electricity.
UK Nuclear Scene:
New product evolution occurs every 30/40 or 50 years, progression is far slower than that of industries such as Automotive and Aerospace.
1. Existing Fleet – Entered service 70s/80s:
- Extend the safe and economic life of the existing AGRs for 10yrs
- Keep Sizewell in safe and economic operation for 40+yrs
- An asset management and sustaining engineering challenge
2. Nuclear New Build – Will enter services 2020s:
- Hinkley Point C- complete build and commissioning inside budget and schedule
- Horizon and Nugen- complete GDA and FID and start construction
Huge technical, regulatory and supply chain complexity.
Need to build investor and operator confidence.
3. Waste Management & Decom:
- Safety is paramount
- Modernise Sellafield’s, while keeping the site operational.
- Prepare for 50year care and maintenance phase.
4. The Next Generation:
- Small Modular Reactors
Drivers of digitalisation throughout the nuclear sector:
What we need to do:
- Maintain safety and availability.
- Reduce cost and time to build
- Build investor confidence
We can do this by:
- Integrating design, DfM/DfA, certification, supply chain management and construction aspects.
- Removing knowledge silos- ‘one source of the truth’.
- Improving knowledge of plant performance- digital twins etc.
- Improving safety/cert’n case development
- Knowledge management- support generations of staff.
- Flexible, robust system & data architecture, with the ability to evolve over 20yrs
Implementing the change with Majenta Solutions:
Majenta is a key partner, delivering:
- Process mapping and optimisation
- Customisation (minimal amounts)
- Developing training material
- Training our trainers
- Liaison with Dassault
- Sharing the ‘launch customer experience’ with us!